WHO WE ARE

The history and mission of Saint George's School

What kind of school is Saint George’s? A good place to start is with our mission statement: 

Inspiring scholars, athletes, and artists to serve and lead others.

This means our teachers know our students and know how to bring out the best in each of them.  They do that through classes and activities that push them to do their best in every situation. And the result is young men and women of character and accomplishment who thrive in college and beyond.

So how did we get to where we are today? Saint George’s School was the creation of 16 concerned parents who wanted their children to be better prepared for college. In 1955 they purchased “Flowerfield”, the 120-acre summer estate of local hotel-owner Louis Davenport on the banks of the Little Spokane River just north of the Spokane city limits. Originally connected with the Episcopal Church, the school has been independent and non-religious since 1957.

Beginning with 45 students who attended classes in the estate’s horse barn, the school has grown over the years to more than 350 students. Traditions also have grown – the Dragon Dance to open the school year, Outdoor Club adventures, the eighth grade Coast Trip, the Ski Bus, and seniors crossing Graduation Bridge – that bring students together year after year in memorable ways.

The school’s campus still centers around the original Davenport House mansion that now overlooks separate Lower, Middle, and Upper School buildings, along with athletic fields and several gyms, an art building, and maintenance facilities.

Saint George's is accredited by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IB), the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), and the Northwest Association of Independent Schools (NWAIS).